In this post, we’ll go through the German verb: spenden (to donate).
This is a regular (weak verb) and uses the auxiliary verb haben to form the present perfect. It can be used also with the preposition für + Accusative case.
Let’s start with the main conjugated forms for the German verb spenden:
|Present Tense – Präsens||Compound Past Tense (Present Perfect) – Perfekt||Simple Past Tense – Präteritum|
|ich spende||ich habe gespendet||ich spendete|
|du spendest||du hast gespendet||du spendetest|
|er/sie/es spendet||er/sie/es hat gespendet||er/sie/es spendete|
|wir spenden||wir haben gespendet||wir spendeten|
|ihr spendet||ihr habt gespendet||ihr spendetet|
|Sie/sie spenden||Sie/sie haben gespendet||Sie/sie spendeten|
Now, thanks to simple sentences, we try to better understand the meaning of the German verb spenden and to memorize it.
- Spendest du Blut? Do you donate blood?
- Wie oft spendest du Blut? How often do you donate blood?
- Ich spende einmal pro Monat Blut. I donate blood once a month.
- Ich spende dreimal pro Jahr Blut. I donate blood 3 times a year.
- Hast du schonmal Blut gespendet? Have you ever donated blood?
- Er spendete seiner Schwester eine Niere. He donated a kidney to his sister.
- Der Erlös des Benefizkonzerts wird einem Kinderhilfswerk gespendet. The proceeds of the benefit concert will be donated to a children’s charity.
- Der Baum spendet Schatten. The tree provides shade.
- Die Sonne spendet der Erde Licht und Wärme. The sun provides light and warmth to the earth.
- Der Priester spendet die Taufe. The priest performs the baptism.
- Der Erzbischof spendete den Segen. The archbishop gave the blessing.
For many more examples, I recommend using the Tatoeba site. In the search field, replace the word ‘spenden‘ with other conjugated forms of the verb, e.g. ‘spendest‘, to get examples of sentences containing ‘spendest‘.
In the following video, you can listen to and learn the pronunciation of the verb spenden in its various conjugations:
Android App – Mit Spass Deutsch Lernen!
Do you want to easily memorize the German verb spenden? Then install our Android App “Mit Spass Deutsch Lernen!”
It is simple and intuitive, and it allows you, while having fun and spending only a few minutes a day, to learn fast the German verb spenden while playing the hanged man game!
The purpose is to guess the letters that form the hidden sentences. The sentences are the same that you will find in our articles.
Don’t you know the meaning of a word? Translate it with DeepL, one of the best online translators that uses artificial intelligence to understand texts and translate them.
Share this post with your friends:
Hi, I am Benjamin – Der Deutschlehrer, your German teacher.2007-2010 DaF-Studium Uni Greifswald, over 10 years of experience as German language specialist at TELC Exams.
To get started and have your first basic conversations in German, I recommend you learn some complete words and sentences that will surely make your life easier! In this post, I have collected a number of basic words and German sentences that will help you get through your first interview in German. For simplicity’s sake, […]
Once upon a time… this is how fairy tales always begin. There are many well-known fairy tales. A fairy tale is an old story.For example: Hansel and Gretel or Snow White. But many people don’t know these fairy tales. Some of these fairy tales are difficult. And that is why many people cannot understand these […]